Overseas Teaching

Teaching in England

In order to teach in a maintained or non-maintained special school in England, you will need to obtain qualified teacher status (QTS).

The Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) is responsible for awarding QTS in England. 

Once you have obtained QTS and are employed to teach in a maintained or non-maintained special school, you will be paid according to the teachers' pay scales. You will also undergo performance management reviews in the same way as any other qualified teacher.

Once you successfully complete your initial teaching training, you will be awarded QTS and will be able to download your certificate online.

It will be up to individual schools to decide whether you are suitable for a job role. 

COVID-19 Update:

Eligible teachers from overseas can still apply online to have their qualifications recognised to teach in England. 

To find out more about Immigration to England, Visas and gaining QTS, visit the Get Into Teaching Guidance for Overseas Teachers page.

Please note that from 1st January 2021, the UK will introduce a points-based immigration system. Find guidance for schools during the transition period here.